Saturday, July 9, 2011

Stimulating cinema: The Bicycle Thief (orginally "Ladri di Biciclette")

Director: Vitorio de Sica
Year: 1948

I'm sure most people reading this will have enjoyed this classic slice of Italian neo-realism as much as I do. I saw this for the first time in Film Appreciation class at the University of Memphis 20 or so years ago and have enjoyed it many times since, including twice in the last week or so. The first time out, I clearly remember not "getting it." But my appreciation has only grown over time--I'm able to understand the sly humor and the symbolism so much better now that I have a little experience behind me. And each time I see it, I am struck by the humanity and dignity of the boy Bruno (Enzo Staiola). This little guy is simply one of the classic movie characters of all time and the final scene where he sees his father impulsively and foolishly try to steal a bike is breathtakingly heartbreaking.

Instead, I'd like to focus a little bit on the character Antonio Ricci (Lamberto Maggiorani). He's definitely not a hero, nor even an anti-hero. I think of him as a non-hero. And not just because of his foolish decision in the end, which will forever change the way his son looks at him (and one could even argue that for much of the film it is actually Bruno who is the man of the house). There's nothing really heroic at all about Ricci and I say this from experience.

For whatever reason, guys (and probably some women too, although I think this is largely a guy failing) know what they SHOULD do but a lot of the time fail to do it. Remember the opening scene of the movie--a man from the employment office calls out Ricci's name because he has a job for him. But Ricci doesn't even hear--he's lolling about on the ground some yards away and some other guy who desperately needs a job too has to come fetch him. Ricci pays no attention to his wife as she's carrying water back to their apartment (although eventually he does help a little). And how many times does poor Bruno nearly get run over by something because his dad is too wrapped up in himself. Never mind when Ricci slaps his son--of course he's frustrated but Bruno is just a boy--and a good boy at that.

The things I don't like about Ricci are the things I don't like about myself--tendency towards laziness, persecution complex, not giving it quite 100 percent 100 percent of the time. Remember when his wife found him the night the bicycle was stolen. She asks (and I'm paraphrasing) "did you do all you could." SHE knows. She knows her husband better than anyone. Yes, it's a bad break. Yes, the police in Rome were about as useful as tanning lotion in the Arctic Circle. No doubt, Ricci had some bad luck. But his support system is so strong, that that could have been overcome. I've always wondered how the family makes out after the film ends and I fear that it wouldn't be pretty. With Ricci's bike gone, I fear he will just cash it in on his family.

It helps me to watch this movie now as a man with a wife and responsibilities. It reminds me that I can never slack up--that I have to work hard always because people are counting on me. Life is hard, but you can't just throw up your hands. Yes, Ricci tried to find his bike but try harder! Never stop. And don't do anything you wouldn't want your loved ones to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment